About this Special Issue
This Special Issue of Advances in Drug & Alcohol Research is brought together to reflect on the World Health Organization’s World No Tobacco Day, falling on May 31 every year, and convened to bring attention to nicotine dependence as a leading cause of preventable death and disease worldwide. Nicotine dependence, brought on by prolonged and repeated use of tobacco products, has been shown to affect health across countries, leading to premature death, exacerbated health inequalities, and heightened healthcare costs. In line with the journal’s broad aim of uniting scientists and clinicians to fight addiction, this special issue is open for submissions on themes including:
• Current research around the effects of smoking, vaping, chewing, and other means of developing nicotine dependence
• Neuropharmacology and neurobiology of nicotine dependence
• Challenges in managing and ending nicotine dependence
• Co-morbidities of tobacco use and respiratory ailments including COVID-19
• Co-presentation of nicotine dependence with addictions to other substances
Contributions in the form of Original Research Articles, Reviews, Mini Reviews, Brief Research Reports, and Commentaries are welcomed.
For authors, please also review the journal's information regarding Author Guidelines and Article Processing Charges, or direct any questions to the Editorial Office: email@example.com.
Manuscript deadline: 10 March 2023
Keywords: substance abuse, addiction, nicotine, neuropharmacology, tobacco, global health, neurobiology