About this Special Issue
The endocannabinoid system (ECS) plays a crucial role in modulating several physiological processes, including mood, stress response, and reward mechanisms. Substance use disorders (SUDs) are a major public health concern, and research suggests that the ECS may be involved in the development and maintenance of these disorders. Research has shown that chronic drug use can lead to dysregulation of the ECS, resulting in altered levels of endocannabinoids and changes in the expression of cannabinoid receptors. Additionally, the ECS has been found to interact with other neurotransmitter systems, such as the dopamine and opioid systems, which are also implicated in SUDs. This suggests that the ECS may play a modulatory role in the reward circuitry associated with addiction. Understanding the neurobiological mechanisms in the crosstalk between the ECS and substance use is important in identifying new therapeutic targets for treating SUDs. This Special Issue will focus on studies that unravel the role of the ECS in SUDs. Research papers, reviews, mini-reviews, and short communications on preclinical and/or clinical studies in the following sub-thematic areas are welcomed.
• The endocannabinoid system as a target for addiction treatment
• Potential use of cannabinoids in the treatment of SUDs
• Role of cannabinoids in the behavioral and neuro-immune effects of psychoactive substances
• Cannabinoids and drug use: neurobehavioral interactions
• Pharmacologic and genetic modification of cannabinoid receptors as a potential therapeutic option in SUDs
• The roles of cannabinoid CB1 and CB2 receptors in behavioral changes induced by substance use
• Advances on the role of cannabinoid CB2 receptors in SUDs and their therapeutic potential
• Neurobiology of cannabinoids and addictive drug-induced CNS disorders.
For authors, please also review the journal's information regarding Author Guidelines and Article Processing Charges, or direct any questions to the Editorial Office: email@example.com.
Abstract deadline: 1 August 2023
Manuscript deadline: 4 December 2023
Keywords: cannabinoids, psychostimulants, drug abuse, addiction, nervous system